Since the length and width of our benches will be determined by the slabs themselves, the only variable will be bench height.
For a person of average stature (say, 5'11"), a height of 34" is a good place to start if you're unsure of your favorite bench height. One rule of thumb is to let your arm hang straight to the floor and measure up to the point where your pinky finger joins your hand. For reference, I'm 6'1" with average length arms. My measurement is 34", but my main bench at home is 36" tall. My French Oak bench from FORP I is 34" high. I like both benches. So there is no hard and fast number. If you use your bench for rigorous stock prep you'll want a lower height. If it's more for joinery, final fitting, smooth planing, a little taller is nice.
Please comment below with your preferred bench height. If you don't comment, we'll assume your bench will be 34" high.
36" high.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
Who are you please?
DeleteNot sure why that posts as "unknown"... Horace Gordon
Delete34" for Justin Reuter please.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
36"
ReplyDelete34"
ReplyDeleteIsaac Layman
Thank you.
35”
ReplyDeleteAndrew Gieselman
34"
ReplyDeleteJoseph Humann
35"
ReplyDeleteAndrew Howerton
I'm good with 34"
ReplyDelete37"
ReplyDeleteStephen J. Paddison
32.5 Jim
ReplyDelete35 - Ren
ReplyDeleteIf I'm not too late, 36" for Josh Katona
ReplyDelete35 inches Frank Rahman
ReplyDelete34" for Tim C.
ReplyDelete37" Bryan Fancher
ReplyDelete35" Matt Swiderski
ReplyDelete36” please for Eric Saar
ReplyDelete34 inches for Michael Thomas
ReplyDeleteSomewhere 32-34" will be fine for me. Thanks! (Dane Christensen)
ReplyDelete